Looking for the perfect travel journal to capture your next adventure?
We can help.
Here are 9 of the best-rated travel journals that we could find.
Traveling is one of the most rewarding experiences life has to offer, and it broadens your horizons, teaches you new things, and allows you to meet new people.
And what better way to document your travel experiences than with a travel journal?
Want to jump straight to the list of travel journals? Just click here:
- What is a travel journal? Why use one?
- Four Steps to Finding the Best Travel Journal for You
- 9 Best Travel Journals for 2022
- 1. Artisan Travel Journal (Diary, Vegan Leather Notebook)
- 2. Travel Journal Leather by MOONSTER
- 3. Everywhere You Go: A Guided Travel Journal with Prompts by Compendium
- 4. Old World Journal by Mara Conlon
- 5. “Write it Down!” Series Guided Journal, Vacation, The Traveler’s Journal (Globe) by Journals Unlimited
- 6. Travel Checklist Journal (Travel Planner Journal) by Claudine Gandolfi
- 7. LEUCHTTURM1917 – Medium A5 Dotted Softcover Notebook
- 8. Conda Hardcover Spiral Sketchpad
- 9. Mudpuppy Kids Travel Journal
- Travel journaling tips
- 15 Travel journal prompts to get your creative juices flowing
- Time to get journaling!
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. This helps me pay to keep this site going and to bring all these free resources to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What is a travel journal? Why use one?
A travel Journal documents your travel experiences, memories, and thoughts. It’s the perfect way to record all of your travel adventures, both good and bad.
Whether you’re planning a gap year, a round-the-world trip, or a simple staycation, travel journals are the perfect way to document your every move—and they make great keepsakes, too.
You can also look back on all of your travel memories (both good and bad) years down the road.
Four Steps to Finding the Best Travel Journal for You
Not sure which travel journal is right for you? There are a few things to consider when choosing a travel journal.
1. Decide how you want to use your journal.
Do you want something basic, or are you looking for something more specific like a travel diary or travel log?
Some people use them as diaries, while others use them more like travel guides. There’s no right or wrong way to use a travel journal, so do whatever feels right for you.
2. Consider the size and weight of the journal.
If you’re planning on carrying it while you travel, you’ll want something lightweight and portable.
3. Think about the type of paper you want.
If you plan on using your journal for sketching or painting, look for a journal with high-quality paper.
4. Decide on a style that fits your personality.
Travel journals are available in many styles, from simple and functional to fun and colorful.
No matter what type of traveler you are, there’s a travel journal out there that’s perfect for you.
Now that you know what you need to consider for your journal let’s look at what’s popular and on the market, shall we?
Don’t worry. We’ve done the work researching what’s available, so you won’t have to do it yourself. Following is a roundup of the best travel journals currently available.
9 Best Travel Journals for 2022
1. Artisan Travel Journal (Diary, Vegan Leather Notebook)
- Each page provides space for you to note the Date, Location, and Weather and jot down your own notes.
- Journal design features travel and cloud motifs, decorative stitching, embossing, and soft, leather-like cover material.
- The smooth-finish paper takes a variety of pens or pencils beautifully.
- Dotted lines subtly guide your writing.
- The Paper is acid-free and of archival quality.
- A ribbon bookmark keeps your place.
- An elastic closure secures your writing.
- Tuck maps, tickets, and other flat travel mementos within the inside back cover pocket.
- Complementary cloud-pattern design endpapers.
- Sturdy book-bound-style binding.
- Rounded corners for reduced wear.
- Measures 5” wide x 7” high.
- Compact size fits easily into most bags and backpacks.
- 176 writing pages.
I could not find any critical reviews on Amazon.
2. Travel Journal Leather by MOONSTER
- is made of hand-cut, 100% genuine water buffalo leather.
- Handmade in India
- Hand-stitched Coptic leather binding for pages that stay firmly in place.
- 120 125gsm sheets/240 pages of creamy, unlined cotton paper recycled from leftover garment industry cloth in India
- Tree free and acid free
- Lies flat, making it a pleasure to write in.
- No bleed through
- Comes wrapped in cotton bag
- 365 Day replacement promise ( If your rustic journal arrives damaged or you find anything faulty with the craftsmanship, simply contact them within 1 year and they will send you a free replacement or full refund. No questions asked.
3. Everywhere You Go: A Guided Travel Journal with Prompts by Compendium
- Guided journal with prompts to help inspire thoughtful reflections from any travel adventure.
- Spreads with quotes to help frame your thoughts and experiences and space for packing lists, notes, addresses, and things you want to remember.
- Features foil stamping on a softcover and a ribbon marker. They are printed with soy and metallic inks.
- 5.75″W x 8.5″H, 112 pages
4. Old World Journal by Mara Conlon
- A foldover panel that closes with a magnet to secure your jottings, notes, and ideas.
- Acid-free archival paper
- Mulberry/burgundy endpapers.
- Cover embossing and gold foil,gold-foil tracery limns continents and navigational lines
- Complementary interior art.
- Quotations about travel throughout.
- 6-1/4 inches wide by 8-1/4 inches high.
- The spine and edge of the protective magnetic foldover panel are trimmed in burgundy.
- It lies flat for ease of use.
5. “Write it Down!” Series Guided Journal, Vacation, The Traveler’s Journal (Globe) by Journals Unlimited
- Have prompted pages that will guide you to capture the things that really matter
- PRINTED IN USA
- printed with soy-based ink on recycled, heavy duty 70lb, acid free, ivory pages
- 200 PAGES wire-o binding journal lays flat for comfortable writing
- 9″ x 7.5″
6. Travel Checklist Journal (Travel Planner Journal) by Claudine Gandolfi
- Makes a great pre-trip planning tool and post-trip keepsake!
- Start with the Vitals — Medical details, Contacts, and the Pre-trip Checklist.
- Fill in the One-Month (undated) Calendar to ”see” your plan in advance.
- You’ll also find a Packing List, Don’t Forget, Things I Still Need to Do, and Safety Tips/Budget sections.
- Use the Itinerary and Diary fill-in pages to record your activities for up to 14 days.
- Includes space for your Reflections, plus helpful Foreign Phrases and Metric Conversions.
- Archival/acid-free paper to help preserve memories.
- Portable size fits easily in your bag: 5-3/4” wide x 8-1/4” high.
- Lightweight but sturdy hardcover format.
- Elastic band closure keeps it all together.
- Inside back cover pocket for mementos, tickets, maps, and more.
- 80 pages
7. LEUCHTTURM1917 – Medium A5 Dotted Softcover Notebook
- Thread bound Hard Cover opens flat and comes with stickers for labeling and archiving
- Thread-bound opens flat
- Acid-free and ink-proof paper, expandable pocket inside back cover, page marker, and elastic closure
- Stickers for labeling and archiving
- 121 numbered pages, 8 perforated pages, 5.75″ x 8.25″
8. Conda Hardcover Spiral Sketchpad
- The spiral bound provides better access and easily flips the pages over to the backs, allowing you to open your sketchbook flat and sketch without removing pages.
- It is a hardbound textured, black, slick-smooth, and waterproof cover. It definitely helps protect your artwork.
- 80 sheets of 90gsm
- Each page has a perforated edging for easy tearing
- Acid-free, and unbleached paper.
9. Mudpuppy Kids Travel Journal
- guided sections to help kids start documenting their trip
- spiral binding and a flexible protective cover
- 128 Pages
- a Children’s travel journal for ages 5 to 13
- features beautiful illustrations by Sarah Hollander
Travel journaling tips
If you’re feeling stuck with what to write in your journal, here are a few ideas:
- Jot down travel memories
- Create a travel bucket list
- Note travel highlights
- Include photos, maps, and mementos, e.g., train tickets, bus stubs, receipts, etc., to enhance your entries.
- Draw or sketch in your journal
- Keep a travel blog
- Write about your travel goals and dreams.
- Describe the best meal you had on your trip
- Be specific and include details. What did you see, smell, taste, or feel?
- Record your thoughts and emotions. What were you thinking and feeling at the time?
- Don’t forget to date your entries.
- A list of the places you want to travel to
- A map of the world (or the country/region you’re visiting)
Pro tip: You could even combine some of these tips with morning journaling while you’re away.
15 Travel journal prompts to get your creative juices flowing
You can also use these travel journal prompts to spark some inspiration:
- Who did you meet on your travels?
- What was the best thing you did on your trip?
- What travel advice would you give to someone else?
- What was the most challenging part of your trip?
- What did you learn from your travels?
- What was your favorite thing about your trip?
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- What are some of your travel goals?
- What was the best meal you had while traveling?
- What was the most surprising thing you learned on your trip?
- If you could travel back to any place you’ve been, where would it be?
- What are some of your travel packing tips?
- How do you deal with travel anxiety?
- What are some of your favorite travel apps?
- What are some of your favorite travel websites?
Want more creative travel journal ideas? check out 125 Travel journal prompts to get unstuck.
Time to get journaling!
So what are you waiting for? Choose your journal, and start documenting your travel experiences!